Saturday, April 11, 2009

10th Jam: Roll-back

Date: 4/9/09
Location: Mt Prospect Studios

Mike: Bass
Kevin M: Vocals
Ryan: Guitar

Our smallest jam in a while. Mike had a conflict on Wednesday, so we moved it to Thurs. Never heard from Kevin C...

Ran through the Door a couple of times. Still solid things happening there, still areas of improvement, but overall just some minor tweaks required. I feel like we're the closest we've ever been to remembering the break, so big ups to us.

We started talking about the random riffs I've collected. No one seems to pick up Jaunty without Ann around, so we moved on to the "Found You" riff. Didn't come up with any complimentary sections, but Mike did hear a different voicing for the last chord. Instead of an F5, he hears another Dm with a 3-5-Tonic voicing. It sounds good, but I guess it all depends on the melody and other sections we want to use.

We did some good work on "The Cowboy Song." Mike came up with a 6/8 rhythm, and I did a little lead line over Am-Am-C-Dm. After a few runs of that, we had something that modulated to Dm. Mike played a line Dm-Dm-A-F. However, with no drums, I heard it as A-F-Dm-Dm. We still haven't resolved what will constitute the beginning of the phrase, but we agreed it sounded sweet. I ended up playing an oblique line that created a lot of 4ths, and reminded me a very dark version of Westminster Chimes. How badass is that? Not very, I know, but it's kinda goofy regardless...

Kevin got bored, plinked around on the keyboard. If he continues to let Mike and I go off on our musical adventures, he'll soon learn an instrument (or two) to stay amused. To close out, we ripped through Tomorrow. Nothing too interesting there, except that Mike is going to revive the E-G-B-D feel in the song, which I think he was doing occasionally anyway. Now it's official!!!

No comments: