Thursday, February 5, 2009

1st Jam: The Rock Trident

Date: 1/21/09
Location: Mt Prospect Studios

Jim: Guitar
John: Guitar
Kyle: Drums
Ryan: Guitar/Bass

I had coordinated meeting up through emails. At some point, I mentioned the fact that it might have been a good idea to have a couple of songs in mind to play. This was generally acknowledged as a good idea and promptly not carried out.

So it was a good sign that the jam generally went well. I'm still not sure how the 15 minutes hard-rock-into-funk epic will be used in the future, but the fact that we pulled something together was solid, given the fact that the guys really had met before, let alone played together. After exploring E-Minor metal for a while, my acknowledgement of general distain for 12-bar blues promptly led to a 12-bar blues jam.

Jim said it was cool when I switched from guitar to bass midway through, but I know I was wrecking his dreams of a three-guitar attack, a veritable trident of power-rock. He put on a brave face all the same.

We tried to figure out a cover. The Who's Baba O'Reily was the closest we came to putting something together.

Also discussed: The riff that Mike claimed I wrote just to be difficult.

Rock.

No comments: