Sunday, February 8, 2009

Demotivation

Banged out some new lyrics for Fresh Air tonight. I was trying to strengthen the correlation of the verses to the 5 senses. Unfortunately, I realized I was changing the lines that sounded cool, so I quickly gave that up in favor of just changing the lines that didn't make sense and/or sounded really lame. Less was definitely more.

As I ripped through vocals that were pitchy and uneven dynamically, I realized that the more I record, the more my perfectionism wanes. It's not that I don't have a desire to rerecord certain tracks, or that I don't hear the mistakes on every playback. It's that the reward isn't worth the effort.

Perhaps if I were laying down tracks for a producible album, I might have the motivation to perfect what's going on. As it is, I'm going to bang out uneven drums, record barely audible bass-lines, do one take on guitars and solos, and slam out vocals. BOOM! MUSIC! DONE!

No comments: