Monday, February 23, 2009

The Things I Do when I think No One is Watching

I had the place to myself Saturday morning, so I decided to tackle recording a song Mike and I had done a few years back, called "Song About Myself." I think this is one of the last songs that I've written and performed that I don't have a recording of.

We'd never played this song with a drummer, so I practiced a few beats and set up the mics. Mike pointed out that I screwing up the placement of the XLR mics at the last rehearsal, and I definitely fixed that this time around. I probably should have rethought my decision to dedicate a mic to the bass drum, but man can you feel the beat!

I got a basic feel for the tempo changes and laid down the drum tracks. I had gotten as far as laying down the rhythm and lead guitars before I realized I had omitted the first two Bm sections of the song. Nothing to do but jump back on the drums. Luckily, the mics and mic-levels were still there.

After I had rerecorded everything I laid down the bassline. I would have preferred to get Mike back on this one, but alas, he was not around in the 3 hours I decided to rehearse and record this song. I kept the lyrics intact, for better or worse. After I had recorded the rhythm twice, I wanted to lay down the vocals and call it done.

Just checked the lyrics folder; there is one song that I did with Mike and Will back in the day. It's a song called "Want It," based around an Em riff. There are some interesting dynamics and rhythmic stuff in there, maybe there's one more old song to bring to life yet; or maybe I should try writing something new...

No comments: