Thursday, February 5, 2009

2nd Jam: Let's Rock just a Little Harder

Date: 2/4
Location: Mt Prospect Studios

John: Guitar
Jim: Guitar/Drums
Kevin M: Vocals
Ryan: Bass/Drums/Guitar

After losing the argument with Kevin that he really should take my mumbles at face value and write his own lyrics, I relent and send him the lyrics to Stooge. Why did I not send the lyrics to the other songs? They were not on the computer from which I was sending emails to the group that day.* And I thought I could still win the argument that he should write lyrics.

Note to self: Befriend a poet, or at least someone who writes sweet lyrics to rock songs.
Note to self: Realize you're creating a band in which you will soon not have a spot, other than "sound guy" or "fly-dancer."
Note to self: Find some fly-dancers for the band.

Had to throw Kevin's vocals through the compressor and out the little Crate 15-watt practice amp. It actually worked pretty well. Hoping the PA comes by next week.

John, Kevin, and I pounded through Stooge before Jim arrived, and then again after he showed. We pulled that together fast enough that I wished I had planned more for the rehearsal. We messed around with a few songs trying to find something everybody knew. Kevin scoured the Interweb for lyrics of songs we were throwing at him. A little "You Really Got Me" happened.

While Kevin went off to the Interweb again, John, Jim and I got a little minor-rock groove going that alternated between quiet, rim-shot driven verses and harder choruses. John mentioned it was only two chords (I was on drums at the time.) We'll have to bust that out again and develop it in the future.

Plush was the closest we came to doing a cover. That's a possiblity going forward.

Jim mentioned the "Just-to-be-Difficult" riff again. I'll have to work on that one. Mike's gonna love the first rehearsal he attends!

Rock.

*Later discovered that the lyrics were on that computer, just not in the folder I expected them to be in. Even better.

No comments: